There are many reasons people choose to become expats. It’s never a decision that is made lightly. Leaving your country, family and friends can be heart wrenching but thousands of people choose to do it. Their reasons for moving vary and include wanting to offer their children a better education, to trying to find a lower cost of living (especially if they are retirees) to job opportunities. But one of the most compelling reasons, which people across the world relate to, is:
The search for personal safety
As anyone who has been a victim of crime, or been close to people who have experienced it, knows – crime erodes confidence both in the country you are living in and in your own personal power to keep yourself and your family safe.
Many expats who leave unstable countries, cite the desire for a secure, stable future for their families as their major reason for leaving their home countries. According to InterNations, which is the largest network for people who live and work abroad, the safest countries in the world for expats are:
- Luxembourg: Luxembourg has a small population of just half a million people and one of the lowest crime rates in the world.
- Singapore: Singapore is one of the top destinations for expats and is rated highly for personal safety, and rates low on every crime scale, including corporate crime.
- Japan: Japan is known to be a peaceful ordered country, with a calm safe environment that is attractive to many expats.
- Canada: Canada has extremely low crime levels and expats rate it highly for both personal and general security.
- Malta: The small country of Malta has just over 400,000 residents and is popular amongst expats, especially those from the UK, who are drawn to its great weather and its high levels of personal safety and security.
- Switzerland: Switzerland has an international reputation for neutrality and within the country, it’s equally peaceful with expats reporting they feel very safe living there.
- Norway: Norway is a popular country for many expats who report they are attracted to its high levels of education and the general safety one feels when living there.
- New Zealand: This peaceful country is home to many South African expats who are attracted to the high quality of life it offers and its reputation as one of the most peaceful places in the world.
- Finland: Seven out of 10 expats in Finland said they believed their personal safety had increased after moving to Finland and they also rated the education and standard of living very highly.
- Taiwan: Taiwan ranks highly for job satisfaction, good career prospects, and for being one the safest places to be in the world.
Increase your security and protect your finances
If you are planning on immigrating to one of these destinations for your personal safety, consider speaking to FinGlobal. We have thousands of clients in over 105 countries and are widely recognised as the preferred company when it comes to the simple, safe and secure transfer of funds internationally.
As a licensed financial services provider and a Reserve Bank approved foreign exchange intermediary, our services cover all aspects of financial emigration including retirement annuity transfers, the opening and closing of bank accounts, foreign exchange services and a full suite of other financial services for South African emigrants.
[contact-form-7 id=”6581″ title=”_Blog post (call me)”]