Skip to main content

How to immigrate to Canada from South Africa

By March 20, 2019October 3rd, 2023FinGlobal

How to immigrate to Canada from South Africa

March 20, 2019

When many South Africans consider moving abroad, Canada is a popular country that often comes up in discussion. What you may be surprised to know is that moving to Canada from South Africa can be a lot easier than you imagine as there are many different permanent immigration options available. If you are planning to immigrate to Canada permanently, these are the avenues that you have open to you.

Canada Express Entry

Express entry is a management system that helps skilled and qualified people applying to Canada under one of three immigration programs:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • Canadian Experience Class
You can check to see if you are eligible for any of these programs by answering a few questions online, where you will we be asked questions about your age, nationality, language ability, family members, education work experience and any details on job offers that you may have. Once your answers have been analysed, you will be told if you are eligible for Express Entry and will be directed to fill out an online profile. Based on this profile, you may be placed in a group of candidates for immigration and might be invited to apply to immigrate.



Working in Canada

If you plan to work in Canada, you will have to apply for a Work Permit, which requires a job offer from your Canadian employee. Generally, your employee will have to do Labour Market Impact Assessment to show that they can’t find a suitable Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident to fill the position. There are certain positions that don’t require a Labour Market Impact Assessment like a charitable worker or if you are an intra-company transferee.


Family Class Sponsorship Program

If you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident in Canada, then you may be eligible to immigrate to Canada under the Family Class Sponsorship Program. Canada is deeply committed to reuniting families and if your relationship to the Canadian citizen/permanent resident is one of the following, you can be sponsored:

  • Spouse, common-law or conjugal partner
  • Dependent child
  • Parent
  • Grandparent
  • Sibling, nephew, niece or grandchild under 18 years who is unmarried and whose parents are deceased



The Quebec Investor Program

The Quebec Investor Program gives permanent residency in the province of Quebec to people with business experience who are willing to make an investment in Canada to help boost the economy and create jobs.


You must have at least two years of acceptable business management experiences and at least a C$2 million net worth. It’s important to note that you don’t have to establish or manage your own business in Canada to qualify. You will need to invest C$1.2million in a prescribed, government guaranteed investment for 5 years. After 5 years you will be reimbursed for your loan within 30 days without interest.


Canadian Provincial Nominee Program

Many of Canada’s provinces have specific economic needs. Under this program you may be able to receive permanent residency by starting or investing in a Canadian business venture. The minimum investment and net worth requirements are specific to each province. Certain provinces will also require a minimum of 2-5 years full time working experience while others don’t require this. All the provinces require the applicant to commit to participating in the day-to-day management of the business.


If you are a South African planning to immigrate to Canada, we wish you all the best with your journey. While we cannot assist you with your visas, we recommend that you have all your paperwork in place prior to your move.  If you would like to know how you can maximise your finances through financial emigration, accessing your South African retirement annuity and our tailor-made tax solutions for South Africans around the world, contact FinGlobal today.



  • Marelize says:

    Good day

    We want to move to Canada, Saskatchewan, Prince Albert we need to financially retire from South Africa, please give me information to do so. and your prices for assisting the process.

    thank you

  • Themba says:

    Hi Themba here so I have long haul truck license, so in South Africa we call it code 14 drivers license, code Ec to be specific. I need to is possible for me to find work in Canada as a south African citizen, and what is needed? Fundamental I know I have to apply for visa, work permit but what is the most necessary information I need to know before I can apply..

Leave a Reply