Instead of asking your friends and relatives to pack some biltong and Ouma Rusks in their suitcases when they come over for a visit, you’ll be delighted to know you can find all your favourite South African treats and flavours at your local South African Shop. Not only will you have to wait less time for your South African biltong – you can also order it online with just a click of a button.
Your South African Shop in the UK
The Your South African Shop in the UK is a family-run business that has been going since 2005. Its length of time in the industry has meant it has built up a loyal clientele and it is famous for treating every shopper like family.
Not surprisingly, their speciality is biltong and droewors, which are both firm favourites of their customers who keep coming back for more. In fact, they love it so much they even take it back to their friends and family in South Africa!
Meat, biltong and more
To keep up with their customers’ love of meat products they are constantly developing and updating their fresh meat range and are always ready, should their customers decide to pop down and stock up for a braai. If you are craving, boerewors, steaks, flatties, ribs and everything that makes a braai “lekker”, they have it all!
Their specialised butchery is based in Kingston and supplies their other three stores, which are based in Kingston, Guildford and Woking. They are “sticklers” about their meat and its quality so they make their meat and biltong weekly and have it scientifically tested frequently (and tasted daily!)
Shop for South African flavours online
If you live further afield, you will be pleased to know they also have an online store: yoursouthafricanshop.co.uk where you can stock up with your favourite things including fresh meat. So if you are craving Romany Creams, Eet Sum Mors, Ouma Rusks, Biltong and even South African wine and spirits, just head online and start ordering.
Bake your own South African crunchies at home
If you are desperate for the flavour of real South African crunchies, grab a pack of Tiger Oats from the South African store and try this recipe:
- 375g butter
- 10ml (2 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
- 30ml (2 tbsp) milk
- 45ml (3 tbsp) golden syrup
- 230g Tiger Oats (the big flakes)
- 340g cake flour, sifted
- 200g desiccated coconut
- 275g sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base of a 40cm x 30cm roasting tray.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda to the milk, mix well and allow to dissolve.
- Add the syrup and bicarb-milk to the butter and mix to combine – it will foam slightly.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together. Add to the wet ingredients and stir. Work it through with your fingers until well mixed. Press the mixture firmly into the baking tray and bake in the oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Keep an eye on them, so that they don’t burn.
- Allow to cool slightly before cutting into 4cm squares while still a little soft. Gently remove from the baking tray when completely cool and enjoy!
If you are a South African living abroad and would like to know more about how you can maximise your finances through the financial emigration process, accessing your South African retirement annuity and our tailor-made tax solutions for South Africans around the world, contact FinGlobal today for your free and no obligation consultation and quote.