Skip to main content

Countries that pay you to move there

By May 24, 2023December 28th, 2023FinGlobal

Countries that pay you to move there

May 24, 2023


Have you been dreaming of living abroad or relocating from your current country but are worried about how you will afford it? We’ve got good news! Believe it or not, places that will pay you to move there internationally to live and work exist. Places that pay you to move there usually do so for various reasons, such as population declines caused by low birth rates, attracting workers to rural villages and towns, and improving dwindling economies.

Some countries that pay you to move there want to expand startup ecosystems and will even fund your startup as long as you live and operate the business there. You can even find places paying you to move there to work remotely with co-working space provided and a monthly stipend! Whatever the reason, there’s never been a better time to find a country that pays you to live there. Whether you’re looking for countries in Europe that will pay you to move there or places that pay you to live there in other countries, we’ve got you covered!

Countries that will pay you to move there in 2023:


In Switzerland, Albien, a stunning mountain valley village, is one of the places that pay you to live there. The village has struggled with a dwindling population for years as more residents move to the cities. Families of four can get around $27,000 (2500 Swiss francs) per adult and around $11,000 (10,000 Swiss francs) per child.

However, you must be under 45 and have Swiss citizenship with a permit C residence to qualify. You can obtain this by living in the country for five years if you’re from Canada or the US or a citizen of a European Free Trade Association or EU country. Citizens from other countries must live in Switzerland for ten years continuously.


The Government of Ireland launched Enterprise Island to help entrepreneurs moving to Ireland to state their businesses or existing businesses relocating to Ireland. It offers funding and support for companies, including entrepreneurs with business propositions, high-potential start-ups, and companies expanding their activities.

The scheme aims to support job creation, so you must register your company in Ireland, but you don’t have to be Irish to apply. Non-EU company founders can get relocation and visa support like a startup entrepreneur visa, tax incentives, mentoring, and practical help for markets.


If you’re a remote worker, Tulsa city in the US is one of the places that pay you to move there and work from there. The Tulsa Remote program offers from cash to housing and office space. You can get up to $10,000 to cover relocation expenses and get you through the first year, co-working space, and a monthly housing stipend of $500 for up to one year.

Requirements you must meet for consideration include being over 18, eligibility to work in the US, full-time remote employment or self-employment outside Oklahoma, and the ability to move within a year.


Santiago, the capital of Chile, is one of the places that will pay you to move there internationally. The Chilean government launched Start-Up Chile to promote the capital as a hub for tech startups and encourage foreign entrepreneurs and businesses to move there. Applications are open to all industries and nationalities, and you can get equity-free funding through the Build, Ignite, or Growth programs, depending on the level of your business.

If you qualify, you’ll get a one-year work visa for your whole team, co-working space, connections to networks of mentors and investors, and up to $300,000 in exclusive perks like accounting, legal, marketing, design, and hiring.


Italy faces depopulation in certain regions with a mass exodus of young people, low birth rates, and an aging population. It’s one of the countries in Europe that will pay you to move there with villages like Candela in the beautiful Apulia region, giving singles 800 euros, couples 1,200 euros, and families up to 2,000 euros.

You’ll also get tax credits, but you must apply for formal residency to qualify and have a salary of at least 7,500 euros. Others, like Santo Stefano de Sessanio, offer grants of up to 8,000 euros a year for three years and non-refundable entrepreneurial grants of up to 20,000 euros. Non-EU residents with Italian residency cards can apply and will be expected to stay for at least five years.


Spain is another country with demographic issues where smaller towns are left with an aging population and younger people move away. Towns like Ponga in northern Spain are one of the places that pay you to move there, with families getting up to 3,000 to help with moving in and an extra 3,000 euros for every baby born there. Singles or couples without kids can get up to 2,000 euros.

Other towns like Griegos offer new residents a job and free accommodation for up to three months. Families then pay a rent of 225 euros after three months, which can be reduced further by 50 euros for every school-aged child.

Get expert emigration advice and help right here at FinGlobal

If you’re considering emigration and don’t know where to start, you can access tailor-made financial and tax emigration services from FinGlobal. FinGlobal is accessible by expats based abroad or in the country and has helped thousands of clients in over 105 countries for over ten years with general emigration aspects.

You’ll get friendly and professional advice to increase your chances of success and have expert support during and after your immigration. The capable FinGlobal team can also help you with money transfers, taxes, pensions, and retirement annuities to make the process as smooth as possible. Contact us today by calling +27 28 313 5600 or emailing to discuss your unique needs.

Leave a Reply