Traditional South African cuisine is full of flavor and hearty dishes, the South African Potbrood recipe being one of the most iconic. The versatility of this recipe allows for endless possibilities while maintaining its ease of preparation. It’s a great meal for gatherings, or to enjoy as a family dinner.
Potbrood: making bread in a pan
Potbrood, meaning ‘pot bread’, is a beloved part of South African culinary heritage. This easy stove top bread recipe is prepared in a cast iron bread pan with a lid and can be enjoyed plain or stuffed with delicious fillings. Baking bread in a pan produces a unique, rustic flavor. The end result is a dense and moist bread, with a subtle smoky undertone – a perfect companion for any authentic South African meal and a must-try for food enthusiasts.
Boerewors: A beloved South African meat delicacy.
Boerewors, a popular South African sausage made from coarsely ground beef, pork, or lamb, can be the star of your meal. Seasoned with coriander and nutmeg, it pairs perfectly with boerekos or can be enjoyed as a snack with pap, a thick maize meal porridge. In search of some fantastic boerewors dinner ideas? Look no further than this delicious Boerewors Potbrood recipe below!
Cast iron bread pan with lid recipe idea: How to make Boerewors Potbrood
Making this easy stovetop bread can be done in a few simple steps.
What you need:
- 1 package of boerewors, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 ½ cup warm water (plus more as needed)
What to do:
- Preheat your Dutch oven or cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil and Boerewors sausage to the hot pan. Cook the sausage, stirring occasionally, until it turns a golden brown color.
- Add in the diced onions, garlic, oregano, paprika, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 3-5 minutes until fragrant.
- Create a mixture of dry ingredients, combining the flower and baking powder. Slowly add in the warm water while stirring with a wooden spoon or whisk until you have a thick batter. Add more water as necessary until you achieve the desired texture.
- Add the batter to the sausage mixture in the pan and spread it out evenly with the back of your spoon.
- Cover with a lid and let cook for 20 minutes, or until the bottom has turned golden brown.
- Remove from heat and slide the potbrood onto a plate or cutting board to cool before slicing into wedges to serve. Enjoy!
Indulge in this delectable Potbrood recipe
With its bold flavors and simple preparation, boerewors potbrood is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a gathering or looking for an easy weeknight dinner, this Potbrood recipe is sure to please. So next time you’re craving a filling meal, give boerewors potbrood a try – you won’t be disappointed!
Get expert advice from FinGlobal
Emigration advice provided by the FinGlobal team is unique, bespoke, and truly Saffa-focused! For over a decade, we have assisted and continue to help South African expats with every step of their emigration journey.
From tax to pensions, retirement annuities, and forex, the FinGlobal team can assist with all your financial and tax emigration requirements and queries, including where to buy your next pair of veldskoen!
Contact the FinGlobal team today for professional, accredited advice backed by industry experience and a warm and friendly South African vibe.
To discuss your unique needs with our team, simply get in touch with us. Give us a call on +27 28 313 5600 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will assist you promptly.